Friday, June 11, 2010

The Newfangled Graduation Speech


"Graduates..you should be very proud of yourself ...only 33% of the US adult population has earned a college degree....Now just in case you forgot: the economy sucks...you probably won't find a job...your going to live in your parent's basement for the next ten years...your marriage will probably fail and you owe us 100,000$ dollars... good luck and Congratulations !!!"

I've been to two graduations this year and several graduations ( including my own) last year; and the above sentiment has been uttered in some shape or fashion at all of these commencement ceremonies. I realize that these troubled times has helped to shape what I like to call " The Newfangled Graduation Speech". For the past couple of years, college deans, guest speakers and professors have tirelessly explained ( while dressed in full academic regalia of course...so dapper) to us the state of our world, and how we are going to be faced with many challenges. And while I appreciate their concerns, I don't need to be reminded of how sucky everything is: I'm reminded everyday when I fill out job applications and nothing happens. One of the biggest complaints I hear from 20-somethings, is that they have a better chance of getting struck by lightning, while holding a winning lottery ticket and tripping over a pot of gold...than finding an entry level position in their field of choice. Its hard enough for seasoned professionals with PhDs. and 15-20 years experience to find a job...how do they expect recent graduates with nothing more than a degree and a slight alcohol problem ( solely contributed to the 4+ years of partying) to find one. Ugh...out of all the problems us 20-somethings face, this has to be the most challenging. But instead of just complaining about it...I'm going to offer up some suggestions that I think might be helpful:

1) Volunteer in your field: I have been told this is a great way to get to know people in your industry and to make some positive impressions. People love getting ish for free...especially labor... so volunteer. I am proud to say that I have recently started volunteering in my field as a health educator and thus far I'm loving it (pat on the back...go me go me).

2)Go to Graduate School if you can- further your education...make yourself more marketable... plus its another opportunity to hear yet another uplifting graduation speech.

3) Join a Professional Organization- I haven't done this one yet...but I will. Joining these organizations helps you network...and they usually have a great database of companies in your field that are hiring.

4) Explore yourself (and not in a sexual way that's another topic...but trust that i will definitely go there... so stay tuned). Find out if there is anything you are good at and create a side hussle. My BFF is a wonderful designer...but she realized that clothing design is not the easiest field to break into...so she tried accessories..and now she makes the most adorable headbands in the world ( you should buy one).

5)Relax...keep trying it will get better...and remember when life gives you lemons...add some tequila...a cute guy and make some bad decisions ( but with a condom...I would be remiss in my public health duties if i didn't say that).

No comments:

Post a Comment