Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Myth of the Good Girl

I have been thinking about this topic for awhile now...and its' about time that I wrote about it. Often i get into conversations with many twenty-something women and we often talk about our woes with love, relationships and life in general. And although these young twenty-somethings come from various walks of life, they all express a similar sentiment: " I'm doin everythin i'm suppose to...and yet i'm still getting shit on". Often I hear this when discussing cheating boyfriends or lousy job markets. When looking at all these young women, I starting to notice a pattern...they are all the quintessential "Good Girl". What is the " Quintessential Good Girl" you ask? Well here is the answer. The Good Girl is one that follows the rules....even at her own expense. She works hard...even if it means not doing what makes her happy , she has relationships...cause she suppose to, she doesn't cheat...even when cheated on, and she doesn't take risks...because she's scared of them. I think for many women we have been told when we were growing up to be a "good girl" to put others before yourself, to be honest and work hard. Now I'm not saying that these qualities are bad, but I think for many twenty-somethings we have subscribed to these ideals, that we scarifice our own happiness just to fit an image. I know for myself I have been terrified to let go of the "Good Girl" image, I have for years take comfort in an ideal that may not really exist. Recently however, I have had an insatiable desire to throw caution to the wind...break the rules...take a major risk, I hope I can just find the courage to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment